Saturday, August 24, 2013

One day I received a call from Rev. Joe Kitts asking me to choose three or four from my Home Group list ...

... because he would like to visit them with me. Gordon and I were Home Group Leaders at Truro for people in our area. The list was about thirty or so, and some were inactive or had not responded with an interest to be contacted. I thought the best thing to do was to choose some of those I did not know. That day I saw a master at work. I called the home and asked if we could visit. They greeted us reluctantly at the door, and Joe greeted them in return like they were his dear friends. Within a very few minutes Joe had noticed an book, an album, a work of art, a clock (he loved old clocks) or something in the home and comment on the subject or the artist. I was amazed at the ease with which he brought these folks into conversation about something they enjoyed. I will never forget seeing his strong gift at engaging people he had not yet met. By the end of the visit he had always approached their “coming back” to Truro and invited them “to give us another try.”

Roberta Klooster

No comments:

Post a Comment